Sweet Potato Cakes with Jicama Slawdate: October 15, 2012
Nutrition Information (per serving)
2 Tbsp peeled fresh mango
½ cup fresh lime juice
¼ cup concentrated pineapple juice
½ tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 med jicama, peeled and julienne
⅓ cup diced red bell pepper
¼ cup chopped scallions
Sweet Potato Cakes
1 lb sweet potatoes, cleaned and pierced with a fork
⅓ cup minced red bell pepper
⅓ cup minced yellow bell pepper
⅓ cup minced red onion
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
¾ tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
2½ tsp sugar
¾ tsp salt
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 cup toasted and chopped pecans
- Puree mango in blender with lime juice, pineapple juice, salt and sugar.
- In a large bowl, combine jicama, red bell pepper and scallions. Toss.
- Pour dressing over vegetables and toss again.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Cut off ends of sweet potatoes and wrap in foil. Bake for 45 minutes, or until soft. Let cool. Peel off skin and mash with a potato masher to a smooth consistency.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, peppers, onion, cilantro, spices and lime juice. Add ½ cup of breadcrumbs and mix well. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
- In a shallow bowl, combine remaining breadcrumbs with pecans. Form ¼ cup of the mixture at a time into balls. Dredge in breadcrumb/pecan mixture and flatten.
- Heat a large nonstick sauté pan and light spray with canola oil. Sauté potato cakes until golden brown on each side. Serve 3 patties with ½ cup jicama slaw.