Savory Grilled Mushroom & Steak Fajitas
1 1/2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp garlic, finely minced
1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4–1/8 tsp cayenne or chipotle powder (optional)
6 oz. flank steak
2 Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
1 bell pepper, any color, cut into quarters
4 green onions, roots trimmed
6 six-inch corn tortillas
1/2 medium avocado, cut into small cubes or thick slices
fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat a grill or grill pan on medium-high heat.
- In a shallow container, like a baking dish, mix together the soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, oil, black pepper, cumin, and cayenne or chipotle if using.
- Add the steak, mushrooms, bell pepper, and green onions. Mix with the sauce to evenly coat.
- Place the steak on the preheated grill or grill pan. Let cook undisturbed for 2–3 minutes. Rotate at 90° and let cook for another 1–2 minutes. Flip and repeat. Cook the steak to the desired temperature, removing from the grill at 120°F for rare, 125°F for medium-rare, 130°F for medium, 140°F for medium-well, and 150°F for well-done. Let rest while the veggies are cooked.
- Place the mushrooms, peppers, and green onions on the grill. Cook veggies until they have developed deep grill marks on the bottom, about 2–3 minutes. Repeat and cook until tender throughout, another 2–3 minutes.
- Warm the tortillas on the grill if desired.
- Thinly slice steak across the grain. Slice peppers and mushrooms into thin strips. Cut green onion into bite-sized pieces.
- Serve steak and veggies with the tortillas and avocado, lime, and cilantro to garnish.