Scallops with Melted Leeksdate: November 7, 2012
Plump scallops with corn, mushrooms and asparagus in a creamy lemon sauce.
A perfectly filling, pescatarian entree.
1½ tsp unsalted butter
½ cup thinly sliced fresh leeks, white part only
1½ tsp all-purpose flour
½ cup low-fat milk
Pinch sea salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 pound scallops
Pinch sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup unsalted butter
2 cups fresh white corn, cut from cob (about 3 cobs)
1 bunch asparagus, 2-inch tips only
¼ cup chopped shallots
1½ cups fresh wild mushrooms
4 sprigs fresh thyme
¼ tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add leeks, sautéing until translucent. Reduce heat to low and add flour. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add milk and, using a whisk, continue to stir until milk thickens. Continue to cook for 3 to 5 more minutes until creamy, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add salt, pepper and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Dry scallops with a paper towel to ensure proper searing. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Preheat pan over medium-high heat. Add butter to hot sauté pan (butter should turn golden and sizzle when added to the pan). Sear scallops for 2 to 3 minutes on one side then turn over and sear another 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown. Do not overcook. Set aside.
- Blanch asparagus tips in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Place a large sauté pan over medium heat, and spray with canola oil spray. Add corn, asparagus, mushrooms, shallots and thyme, and cook until tender. Season with salt and pepper and remove thyme stems.
- Divide evenly among four plates, placing scallops onto the vegetables. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons Melted Leeks.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
21 g carbohydrates
15 g fat
76 mg cholesterol
26 g protein
627 mg sodium
4 g fiber
Discover more recipes like this in Canyon Ranch Nourish