Apple Cheddar Stuffed Quail with Maple Glazedate: October 23, 2012
Nutrition Information (per serving)
¼ cup pure maple syrup
¼ cup white wine vinegar
¼ cup champagne vinegar
¼ cup finely minced shallots
⅔ cup low-sodium beef stock
1½ tsp cornstarch
1½ tsp water
Apple Cheddar Stuffing
¼ tsp canola oil
1 Tbsp minced shallots
2 Tbsp minced fresh fennel
½ cup finely diced Granny Smith apples
2 Tbsp white wine
½ tsp dried parsley
2 Tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
Pinch sea salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
4 semi-boneless quail
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine maple syrup, vinegars and shallots. Cook until reduced by half. Add beef stock and bring to a boil. In a small bowl mix cornstarch with water. Add to the maple glaze and simmer for 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, sauté shallots and fennel in canola oil until translucent. Add the apples and continue sautéing for 3 to 5 minutes, or until heated through. Deglaze the pan with white wine and cook until dry. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool.
- In a small bowl combine, cooled apple mixture, parsley, cheese and salt and pepper. Place stuffed quail on a baking sheet and stuff each quail with 3 tablespoons of Apple Cheddar Stuffing.
- Preheat broiler.
- Brush each quail with 2 tablespoons Maple Glaze. Place under broiler until golden brown.
- Change oven temperature to 375F. Finish quail in oven for 10 minutes, or until they reach an internal temperature of 165F.