Almond Angel Food Cake with Blueberry Compotedate: October 30, 2012
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Almond Angel Food Cake
¾ cup powdered sugar
1 cup pastry flour
1½ cups egg whites, approx 12 whites
¼ tsp sea salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ tsp pure almond extract
¾ cup cane sugar
1 cup chopped almonds
1⅓ cups fresh blueberries
1⅓ cups pureed blueberries
⅛ tsp pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly coat a 9-inch Bundt pan with canola oil spray and dust with all-purpose flour.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together powdered sugar and flour. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using a hand held mixer, whip egg whites until foamy. Add salt, cream of tartar, vanilla and almond extracts and continue whipping. Gradually add cane sugar and whip until stiff. Fold in flour mixture ¼ cup at a time into egg mixture.
- Pour cake batter into pan and sprinkle almonds on top. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack until cake is cooled and pulls slightly away from the sides of the pan. Invert cake onto a large plate and let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients for Blueberry Compote, crushing berries and almond extract slightly to macerate.
- Top each slice of cake with 2 tablespoons of Blueberry Compote.