Honey Crisp Apple Galette
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 pinch of Kosher or sea salt
2 Tbsp low-fat or oat milk
1 egg yolk
2 firm apples (Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Gala)
1/2 lemon, juice only
1 tsp corn starch
1 tsp organic sugar, evaporated cane juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp golden raisins (optional)
1 Sprig fresh thyme, leaves only (optional)
Basil Whipped cream
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 leaf fresh basil, minced
1 pinch sea salt, fine
1 tsp organic sugar
- Place cold butter and flours into a medium bowl.
- Cut the butter into the flours with two knives or a pastry cutter. Add the salt as you blend the butter and flour together.
- Add the milk and egg yolk and mix together with a wooden spoon just until the mixture is combined and smooth. Do not over mix.
- Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled through, about 30-60 minutes.
- Roll the dough out to 1/8" – 1/4". Cut out 6 each 4" circles and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Wash and peel the apples, cut them into quarters and remove the core. Slice thinly and toss all of the remaining filling ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Arrange the seasoned sliced apples in the middle of your crust leaving one finger size space between the edge of the crust and the filling.
- Roll the edges of the crust inward to hold the filling in place. For an extra touch, brush the edges with beaten egg and a light sprinkle of sugar.
- Bake at 350F for about 15 minutes, until crust is cooked through and golden all over.
Special Chef’s Note
You can use any of your favorite apples for the filling and as the season change; you can substitute any of your favorite fresh fruit or berries.
Basil Whipped Cream (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and whip with a whisk until stiff peaks form. If you are whipping this by hand, use a medium bowl over ice for faster results.