Tortilla-Crusted Chicken with Tomatillo Saucedate: October 26, 2012
Nutrition Information (per serving)
12 oz tomatillos, paper removed
½ jalapeño pepper, minced
¼ tsp dried oregano
2 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp minced garlic
¼ tsp sea salt
1 tsp fresh lime juice
4 corn tortillas, julienned
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp dry oregano
2 tsp sea salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp toasted and ground cumin seed
2 lg eggs, beaten
4 skinned chicken breast halves, boned and defatted
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil spray.
- Arrange whole tomatillos on baking sheet and roast in oven for 10 minutes, or until skin is golden brown. Place roasted tomatillos in blender with remaining sauce ingredients. Puree until smooth. (Note: Wear gloves when handling hot peppers or wash hands thoroughly before touching eyes or mouth.)
- Place tortilla strips on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Cool and break into small pieces and place in a food processor bowl. Pulse to make fine crumbs.
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour, oregano, salt, cayenne pepper and ground cumin seeds.
- Lightly coat a baking pan with canola oil spray. Dip chicken breast in flour mixture and then in egg. Dredge in tortilla crumbs and place in prepared baking pan. Repeat for remaining chicken. Lightly spray with olive oil. Bake in oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until crust is golden and chicken is cooked through. Serve with ¼ cup sauce.