Stuffed Eggplant with Olive Vinaigrettedate: November 2, 2012
Nutrition Information (per serving)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup water
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp chopped shallots
¼ cup Kalamata olives
1 Tbsp grated lemon peel
2 Tbsp chopped, fresh basil
1 tsp cane sugar
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Pinch dry oregano
2 lg eggplant, peeled and sliced ¼-inch thick
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup dried bread crumbs
2 Tbsp dried basil
2 Tbsp dried parsley
1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic
2 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 sm onion, diced
1 med tomato, diced
3 cups fresh spinach
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup low-fat ricotta cheese
1 Tbsp roasted pine nuts, chopped
- Place mustard, salt, vinegar and water in a blender container. Add olive oil slowly while blending on low speed. Add remaining ingredients for vinaigrette and mix well.
- Place eggplant slices on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Place another baking sheet over top and add enough weight to press eggplant. Let sit for 30 minutes. Rinse well.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, basil, parsley, garlic and oregano. Mix well. Dredge eggplant in crumbs and place on baking sheet. Lightly spray with olive oil. Roast in oven for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool.
- In a large sauté pan, sauté onions until translucent. Add tomatoes, spinach and salt. Cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Place 2 tablespoons spinach mixture on eggplant. Top with 1 tablespoon cheese mixture over spinach and roll. Place on sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes to melt cheese.
- Place 3 tablespoons vinaigrette on plate and top with 3 rolls. Garnish with ½ teaspoon pine nuts.