Spice Cake with Apple Compotedate: October 30, 2012
Nutrition Information (per serving)
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup cane sugar
1 Tbsp aluminum-free baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp baking soda
⅛ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp ground cloves
2 lg eggs
1¾ cups unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup canola oil
6 cups Red Delicious apples, peeled, cored and chopped (6-7 med apples)
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup brown sugar
¾ cup heavy cream
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Fresh mint sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat 18 muffin cups with canola oil spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and cloves.
- Stir eggs, applesauce and oil into flour mixture until well combined.
- Spoon ¼ cup batter into each muffin cup and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- In a large saucepan, combine chopped apples, cinnamon and brown sugar. Cook on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until soft but not mushy. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, whip together cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Place one muffin-size cake on a plate, spoon 2 tablespoons of apple compote over cake and top with ½ tablespoon of whipped cream. Garnish with a sprig of mint.