Roasted Chicken with Gravydate: October 26, 2012
Nutrition Information (per serving)
1 whole 3-4 lb roasting chicken
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped carrots
½ cup chopped yellow onion
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
3 med potatoes, approximately 1 lb
½ cup skim milk
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp chopped chives
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp unsalted butter
1 tsp canola oil
1½ Tbsp unsalted butter
⅓ cup diced yellow onion
1½ Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, mix together chopped celery, carrots and onions. Stuff chicken with vegetable mixture. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan, cover and roast for 1 to 1½ hours, or until juices run clear when pierced with a fork. Cut roasted chicken in half. Remove back, ribs, wings and drumstick. Separate thigh and breast and remove skin.
- Peel potatoes and cut into large cubes. Place in a medium pot of boiling water and cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain. Combine potatoes with the remaining ingredients. Whip until smooth with an electric mixer.
- For gravy: in a medium sauté pan over medium heat, sauté onions in canola oil and butter until translucent. Add flour and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and whisk together until begins to boil and become thick. Add salt, pepper and sage. Strain.
- Serve 4 ounces chicken with ⅓ cup mashed potatoes and ¼ cup chicken gravy.