Poppyseed Cake with Lemon Glazedate: October 30, 2012
Nutrition Information (per serving)
¼ cup unsalted butter
½ cup cane sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 lg eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup whole poppy seeds
1¼ cups buttermilk
½ cup 1% milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat a 9-inch bundt pan with canola oil spray. Dust with all-purpose flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars with an electric mixer on low speed until cane sugar is dissolved. Add vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, allowing each one to incorporate.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Add half of flour mixture to creamed mixture and mix on low speed for 30 seconds. Add half of buttermilk and mix until just combined. Add remaining half of flour mixture and mix for 30 seconds. Add remaining buttermilk and 1% milk and mix briefly until smooth.
- Pour into pan. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 30 minutes. Invert onto a large plate and let cool completely, 1 to 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and as much lemon juice as needed to make an icing. Spread evenly over the entire cake. Slice into 20 servings.