Hazelnut Short Cake with Berry Saucedate: October 30, 2012
Nutrition Information (per serving)
½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp aluminum-free baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup hazelnuts
2 Tbsp 2% milk
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp Frangelica liquer
4 lg eggs
¾ cup cane sugar
3 cups Berry Sauce
- Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin pan with canola oil spray and lightly dust with flour.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Grind hazelnuts in a food processor until finely ground. Add milk, oil and Frangelica and pulse to combine.
- Crack eggs and separate egg whites into a medium bowl and egg yolks into a large bowl. Beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Continue on high speed adding in ¼ cup of sugar in a slow, steady stream. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Beat egg yolks and the remaining ½ cup of sugar until mixture is pale yellow and doubled in size.
- Gently stir the hazelnut mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Slowly add flour mixture and gently stir until mixed. Stir 1 cup of egg whites into the batter until combined. Gently fold the remaining whites into the batter using long strokes until no white streaks remain.
- Evenly divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve each cake topped with ¼ cup berry sauce.