Chicken Pot Piedate: December 10, 2014
Nutrition Information (per serving)
1⅓ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp cane sugar
¼ cup cold unsalted butter, diced
4 to 6 Tbsp ice water
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 4-oz boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 cups diced onion
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 Tbsp minced garlic cloves
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken stock
¼ tsp dried, crushed thyme
2 tsp chopped fresh sage
3 Tbsp cornstarch
4 Tbsp chicken stock
1½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp black pepper
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To prepare crust, place flour, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Mix well. Using a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour until it is the size of small peas. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing gently after each addition. Dough will begin to form a ball when enough water has been added. Gather dough with dry hands and form into ball. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough in 6 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece into a circle large enough to fit the top of an 8-ounce ramekin.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Brown the chicken on all sides. Dice chicken and add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent. Sprinkle flour over the chicken and vegetables and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until slightly golden in color.
- Whisk 4 cups stock, thyme and sage into the chicken and vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and the remaining ¼ cup of chicken stock. Mix well. Slowly whisk the paste into the chicken and vegetable mixture and cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Add salt, pepper, Worcestershire, parsley and lemon juice and remove from heat.
- Portion 1 cup chicken mixture into each of six individual 8-ounce ramekins and top each with a dough circle. Place ramekins on baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until crusts are golden brown.