Nutrition Information (per serving)
4 med whole poblano peppers
½ lb chicken chorizo or spicy chicken sausage, lowfat and nitrate free
4 lg eggs
4 egg whites
½ cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
White Corn Polenta
3 Tbsp finely minced onion
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 Tbsp white corn kernels, cut from the cob or frozen
1¼ cups low fat milk
¼ cup polenta
Pinch sea salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp cane sugar
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup Pico de Gallo
- Preheat broiler.
- Roast whole peppers under the broiler until charred on all sides and pepper begins to soften. Remove skin and cut a lengthwise slit through the pepper. Remove the seeds and ribs and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, sauté chicken chorizo over medium heat until fully cooked and crumbly. Add eggs and egg whites and cook to a soft scramble.
- Stuff each pepper with ½ cup chorizo and egg mixture so filling is overflowing. Place on a baking sheet, and top each pepper with 2 tablespoons Monterey Jack cheese. Broil on high 5 to 7 minutes, or until cheese starts to melt.
- In a medium saucepan, sauté onion in butter over medium heat until translucent. Add corn and sauté briefly, about 30 seconds. Add milk and bring to a boil. Using a wire whip, lightly whisk in polenta, salt, pepper and sugar. Cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Place ¼ cup of white corn polenta on a plate and top with 1 stuffed pepper. Top with 2 tablespoons pico de gallo or salsa.