Blueberry Bread Pudding with Bourbon Saucedate: October 30, 2012
Nutrition Information (per serving)
2 lg eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
⅓ cup brown sugar
1 cup 2% milk
4 slices multi-grain bread
1 cup fresh blueberries
½ cup evaporated skim milk
1 tsp bourbon
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 300F. Lightly coat an 8-inch square baking pan with canola oil spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, sugar and milk.
- Break up bread into small pieces and spread out pieces and blueberries on the bottom of pan. Pour milk mixture over bread and berries and let soak until bread has completely absorbed liquid. Place in larger baking pan with enough water to come to the level of the bread pudding in the small pan. Bake for 45 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool slightly on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring milk, bourbon and sugar to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk. While whisking, slowly add half the hot milk mixture into egg yolk. Whisk the egg mixture back into the remaining hot milk mixture and return to heat. Cook, stirring, until sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Do not allow to boil.
- Cut bread pudding into 8 rectangular pieces and serve each piece topped with 1 tablespoon Bourbon Sauce.