Canyon Ranch Recipes – Satisfying, Nourishing Cuisine
To all of us here at Canyon Ranch, healthy eating is about abundance and variety—nourishing your body and tempting your taste buds with all of the amazing flavors nature has to offer.
We’re not about skipping out on satisfying, savory dinners (try our Chicken Pot Pie), or trying to forget just how sweet dessert can be (dig into our Warm Chocolate Cake with Coffee Crème Anglaise). We’re about wholesome food in healthy portions—meals that not only provide your body with the balanced nutrition it needs to keep you well and fight disease, but leave you licking your spoon.
Former Canyon Ranch corporate chef Scott Uehlein, his culinary team and our nutritionists work hand-in-hand to ensure that every delicious recipe meets an exacting set of standards, which emphasize:
- Whole foods: Choosing from-nature foods that are in-season and as close to “farm to table” as possible helps us ensure that our dishes have the most nutrients and best flavors. We make the extra effort to avoid processed foods, additives, gums, artificial coloring and flavors, preservatives, processed sweeteners and processed fats.
- A focus on plants: Vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds, herbs and spices—among many other options—provide great taste and texture, and they are the foods with the most power (antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, etc.) to prevent disease. We use organic ingredients whenever possible and keep an eye on the latest research on “clean and healthy” plant foods.
- Plenty of fiber: This important macronutrient helps regulate blood sugar levels, maintain digestive health, keep you satiated and more. Fiber in our recipes comes from beans, leafy vegetables, whole grains, berries and skin-on fruits.
- Balanced portions of protein and carbohydrate: This combination keeps you feeling fuller, longer, and delivers great health benefits: Protein plays a major role in the growth and repair of all body cells (including muscles), keeps your metabolism strong and more. We use lean proteins including fish, beans, soy foods, eggs, low-fat dairy products and the leanest cuts of poultry and red meat. Carbohydrates are a rich source of energy and nutrients. In our recipes, complex carbohydrates, like quinoa, take the place of simple carbs, like white rice.
- Healthy fats in moderation: In the old days, spa food meant no fat. We’re long past that idea, since we know that dishes with good fats are not only more heart-healthy, inflammation-fighting and then some, but far more appetizing and satiating. Cold- or expeller-pressed extra-virgin olive or canola oils, avocados, fish, flaxseeds and nuts are some of our preferred choices. We minimize saturated fats and never use trans fats.
- Minimal added sugar and no artificial sweeteners: We use a variety of natural sweeteners, including cane sugar, honey and molasses in moderate quantities to add a sweet touch.
- Moderation of sodium: A light sprinkle of sea salt is often used to bring out the flavors of our fresh ingredients. Our standard for total daily sodium is the recommended guideline for healthy individuals: around 2,300 mg (about a teaspoon of salt) per day.
- Pleasure: It doesn’t matter how good something is for you—if you don’t enjoy eating it, you won’t. Our recipes make healthy food flavors come alive. The most satisfying dishes hit all four of the key taste elements—sweet, sour, bitter and salty—and ours do just that.
Explore all 750+ of our recipes in the Canyon Ranch Recipe Library—and discover for yourself just how enjoyable healthy eating can be.
Visit one of our Canyon Ranch Culinary Concepts to try our nutritious and thoughtfully-sourced cuisine. Culinary concepts include Truth & Tonic, Canyon Ranch Grill, and CR CREĀT.