Nutrition Information (per serving)
2 pounds fresh kohlrabi, about 2 to 4 bulbs
Pâte Brisée (Pie Dough)
1¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp cane sugar
¼ tsp sea salt
3 Tbsp cold, unsalted butter
4 Tbsp cold water
3 lg eggs
½ cup nonfat milk
1½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup shredded gouda cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Steam whole kohlrabi bulbs until tender, 1 to 1½ hours. Cool.
- With a food processor on pulse setting, briefly mix flour, sugar and salt. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with butter pieces the size of small peas. With machine on, drizzle water into flour and toss gently until dough forms. Do not over mix.
- Lightly flour parchment paper on a flat surface. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Place dough in a 10-inch tart pan and press down. Par bake crust for 5 minutes.
- Peel and thinly slice kohlrabi. Layer slices in tart pan.
- In a medium bowl, add eggs, milk, salt and pepper and beat with wire whisk until all ingredients are combined. Pour over kohlrabi. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until egg mixture has set. Cool.