Nutrition Information (per serving)
¼ cup fresh cilantro
1 cup basmati rice
1 14-oz can lite coconut milk
½ cup water
2 kaffir leaves
2 lg eggs, beaten
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup chopped, fresh chives
- Place cilantro in a cheesecloth and tie to form a sachet.
- Place cilantro, rice, coconut milk, water and kaffir leaves in a medium sauce pan with a tight fitting lid. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over low heat until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. (Note: If necessary, add more water to cook the rice completely.) Cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in egg, salt, pepper and chives to rice mixture.
- Preheat griddle or electric skillet to 350F. For each cake, use ⅓ cup rice mixture, form into a ball, and flatten to ¼-inch thickness. Spray griddle with canola oil spray, and place basmati cakes on griddle for 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp on each side. Place each cake on a baking sheet after grilling.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake rice cakes for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden in color.