Nutrition Information (per serving)
Chunky Tomato Sauce
2 tsp minced garlic
½ cup chopped yellow onions
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 28-oz can whole tomatoes
1 cup water
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
Pinch dried, crushed thyme
⅛ tsp sea salt
⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ cup mozzarella coating mix
6 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into 1 oz pieces
2 egg whites
1½ cups whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- In a small saucepan, sauté garlic and onions over medium heat in olive oil until onions are translucent. Lightly crush tomatoes with your hands. Add tomatoes, water, herbs, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on a low flame for 30 to 40 minute,s until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Dredge mozzarella in Mozzarella Coating Mix and shake off any excess flour. Dip cheese in egg whites and then roll into the breadcrumbs until coated. Return cheese back into egg whites then back into the breadcrumbs.
- In a sauté pan or hot plate on medium heat, sear mozzarella on each side for one minute.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet and the mozzarella with canola oil spray. Place on the sheet and bake for 2 to 3 minutes, turn over and bake for another 2 to 3 minutes until browned and crisp.
- Serve 1 ounce of cheese topped with ¼ cup of sauce.