Nutrition Information (per serving)
Spelt Berry Gazpacho
¾ cup spelt
½ cup peeled and diced tomatoes
¼ cup diced red onion
¼ cup peeled and diced cucumbers
⅛ cup diced celery
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
½ tsp sea salt
1 cup low sodium tomato juice
½ tablespoon minced Serrano peppers
Cilantro Lime Shrimp
⅓ cup fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro
2 tsp minced garlic
½ lb med shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Place uncooked spelt into a large saucepan with 2 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Allow to cook for 1 to 1½ hours until spelt berries begin to split open and have a tender texture. Drain spelt in a colander to remove excess water.
- In a large bowl, combine spelt, vegetables, cilantro, lime juice, salt, tomato juice and peppers. (Wear gloves when handling peppers or wash your hand thoroughly before touching your eyes, nose or mouth). Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- In a shallow glass baking dish, combine lime juice, cilantro and garlic. Skewer shrimp on 6-inch skewers, 4 shrimp per skewer. Pour marinade over the shrimp and let sit for 10 minutes only. Grill shrimp until cooked through, about 2 minutes on each side. Allow shrimp to cool.
- Place ½ cup Spelt Berry Gazpacho in a martini glass and evenly divide the shrimp among the 6 servings.