Nutrition Information (per serving)
1 lb yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
⅓ cup white wine
⅛ tsp minced fresh thyme
½ Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
½ bay leaf
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
2¼ cups chicken stock
⅓ cup beef stock
1 tsp sea salt
¼ tsp Worcestershire sauce
6 ½-inch thick slices of whole wheat French baguette
3 Tbsp grated Swiss cheese
- In a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil over low heat until caramelized, stirring often to keep from burning.
- Add white wine and bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add thyme, parsley, bay leaf, black pepper, chicken stock and beef stock. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt and Worcestershire sauce.
- Arrange bread slices on a small baking sheet. Sprinkle tops of each with ½ teaspoon grated Swiss cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and crust is brown, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Divide among 6 bowls and top with 1 cheese crouton and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon cheese.