Nutrition Information (per serving)
2-4 lbs chicken parts, except the liver
3 qt cold water
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery ribs without leaves, chopped
1 lg onion, cut into quarters
4 fresh garlic cloves, cut into halves
1 bay leaf
12 whole peppercorns
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place chicken bones and pars in a shallow baking dish and bake 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain and discard excess fat.
- Place browned parts in a large pot, add water and bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 to 2½ hours, skimming off any foam that comes to the surface. Do not stir, and do not allow to boil again. Let stock cool slightly for easier handling.
- Line a kitchen strainer or colander with double-thickness cheesecloth and set over a large bowl or pot in the kitchen sink. Strain stock through cheesecloth, pouring slowly and steadily so as not to stir up sediments. Discard the dregs. Cool.
- Refrigerate until fat is solid on the surface. Remove fat.
- Refrigerate or store in small portions in the freezer.