Nutrition Information (per serving)
2-4 lbs chicken parts, except liver
3 qt cold water
2 carrots, scraped and chopped
2 celery ribs without leaves, chopped
1 lg onion cut into quarters
4 garlic cloves, cut into halves
1 bay leaf
12 whole peppercorns
½ cup diced carrots
½ cup diced celery
1 cup diced onion
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup cooked bowtie pasta
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place chicken bones and parts in a shallow baking dish and bake until golden brown, approximately 35 to 45 minutes. Drain and discard excess fat.
- Place browned bones and parts in a large pot, add cold water and bring to a boil, skimming off any foam that rises to the top.
- Add remaining ingredients and turn down heat to a simmer for 2 to 2½ hours. Be sure not to stir stock at any point.
- Strain stock into another container. Discard bones and vegetables. Place container in an ice bath until cooled completely, or refrigerate uncovered in metal, glass, or ceramic container until fat has hardened. Remove fat.
- In a large saucepan, sauté carrots, celery and onions in olive oil until tender. Add chicken stock and cooked pasta. Simmer for 1 minute.