Nutrition Information (per serving)
3 cups elbow macaroni
½ cup diced onions
1 Tbsp canola oil
Pinch ground cloves
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
¼ cup cornstarch
1 qt 2% milk
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp garlic powder
1½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp white distilled vinegar
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, about 8 oz
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
½ cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions. Rinse, drain and cool.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with canola oil spray.
- In a large saucepan, sauté onions in canola oil over medium heat until translucent. Add cloves, black pepper and bay leaf.
- In a large bowl, mix cornstarch with milk.
- Add milk mixture to onion mixture and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until thickened. Add Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, pepper and vinegar. Stir in cheeses and stir until melted. Remove and discard bay leaf. Stir in macaroni and mix gently. Pour into baking pan and top with bread crumbs.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until bread crumbs are golden brown.