Nutrition Information (per serving)
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp ground cumin seed
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp minced fresh ginger root
1¼ tsp sea salt
2 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp coriander seed, toasted and ground
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp cardamom seeds, toasted and ground
1 cup plain lowfat yogurt
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp spice mixture (above recipe)
2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp diced green chili peppers
3 Tbsp plus 1 tsp spice mixture (above recipe)
1 14-oz can lite coconut milk
1 cup canned, crushed tomatoes
4 cups cooked brown rice
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for spice mixture.
- In another small bowl, combine all ingredients for marinade.
- In a glass baking dish, combine marinade and chicken and marinate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat grill. Remove chicken from marinade and discard excess marinade. Grill chicken for 1 minute on each side to set grill marks. Dice chicken.
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, sauté garlic in olive oil. Add green chilies and spice mixture and cook for 5 minutes. Add coconut milk and crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Add diced chicken and continue to simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce has reduced by one-third.
- Evenly divide Chicken Tikka Masala into 8 servings and serve with ½ cup brown rice.