Nutrition Information (per serving)
1 tsp green peppercorns
1 Tbsp white wine
2 Tbsp minced shallots
1 tsp unsalted butter
2½ Tbsp sherry
⅔ cup beef stock or demi-glace
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
4 tsp heavy cream
1 lb skinless chicken breast halves, boned and defatted
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups cremini mushrooms or seasonal wild mushrooms
½ cup chicken stock
1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbsp water, optional
- Combine peppercorns and wine in a small sauté pan. Bring to a boil and cook until wine has evaporated. Cool peppercorns and coarsely chop in a coffee grinder.
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter and add shallots. Cook over low heat until slightly browned, add peppercorns and sherry. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Add stock or demi-glace and bring to a boil. If using stock, thicken with 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water. Reduce heat and whisk in Dijon mustard until combined. Remove from heat and whisk in cream. Set aside.
- Cut chicken in half to form two medallions. Pound slightly to ¼ -inch. Season with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large sauté and add chicken. Cook over medium heat until golden brown on one side. Turn chicken and add mushrooms. Sauté briefly. Add stock and cook until chicken is completely cooked. Add sauce and cook until heated through. Thicken with cornstarch mixture, if necessary.
- Serve 2 medallions with ¼ cup sauce.