Nutrition Information (per serving)
2 lg eggs, separated
¼ cup cane sugar
½ cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
⅓ cup nonfat plain yogurt
Coffee Crème Anglaise
1 cup 2% milk
¼ cup cane sugar
½ vanilla bean
¼ cup brewed coffee
3 lg egg yolks
- Lightly coat eight 4-ounce individual aluminum molds or ramekins with canola oil spray and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolks with 1 tablespoon of cane sugar. Beat with a whisk until very pale and thick.
- With an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites in a medium bowl until foamy. Add cane sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form.
- Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt. While stirring, add a small amount of chocolate mixture into egg mixture to temper the yolks. Add yolks to chocolate mixture and mix well. Carefully fold in egg whites. Spoon ¼ cup into each mold and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine milk, cane sugar, vanilla bean and coffee in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Immediately remove vanilla bean, cut it open lengthwise with a sharp knice, and scrape the seed paste into the milk mixture. Stir. Discard the bean.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl. While stirring, add about ½ cup of hot milk mixture into the egg yolks to temper. Add yolks to simmering milk. Cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and let cool. When the crème anglaise reaches room temperature, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Remove molds from refrigerator. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the cakes spring back when lightly touched. Cool for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Invert the cakes onto eight plates and serve each with 2 tablespoons crème anglaise.