Nutrition Information (per serving)
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1¼ tsp sea salt
4 tsp aluminum free baking powder
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
⅓ cup low-fat cream cheese
¾ cup buttermilk
3 cups organic strawberries, sliced
3 Tbsp cane sugar
1½ tsp orange peel
2 tsp fresh orange juice
6 Tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly coat baking sheet with canola oil spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
- Cut butter and cream cheese into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter. Add buttermilk and mix with a fork until just combined.
- Transfer onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently just until dough forms. Roll out dough to ¾-inch thick. Using a 2½-inch round cutter form 12 biscuits and arrange about 1inch apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Spray tops of biscuits lightly with canola oil spray and bake for 10 minutes, or until golden in color and cooked through. Cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, sugar, orange peel and juice. Place in refrigerator.
- Pour cream into a small bowl and whip with electric mixer on high until stiff peaks form. Chill.
- Cut biscuits in half horizontally and place ¼ cup strawberry mixture on bottom half. Cover with top half of biscuit and garnish with 1 heaping teaspoon whipped cream.