Nutrition Information (per serving)
¾ cup diced frozen rhubarb
¾ cup quartered strawberries
3 Tbsp cane sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp water
6 sheets phyllo dough
½ cup 2% milk
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp cane sugar
1 tsp pure orange extract
1 lg egg white
1 lg egg
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat a sheet pan with canola oil spray.
- In a medium saucepan, bring rhubarb to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in strawberries and sugar, bring to a boil and cook until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Slowly stir cornstarch slurry into fruit and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo on a work surface with the narrow end at the bottom. Lightly spray with canola oil and fold into thirds, length-wise. Spoon 2 tablespoons filling onto the bottom left-hand corner of the phyllo strip. Fold lower left-hand corner diagonally to the right side of strip to cover filling. Continue folding flag-style until end of sheet is reached. Place turnovers on sheet pan and lightly spray with canola oil. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients for pastry cream except for eggs. Stir constantly over medium heat until bubbly. Set aside.
- Combine egg white and egg in a small bowl and beat well. Combine ½ cup of hot milk mixture with eggs and mix well. Add back to milk mixture in saucepan and beat to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook 1 minute.
- Serve 1 turnover with 1 tablespoon pastry cream.