Nutrition Information (per serving)
Chocolate Angel Food Cake
⅓ cup cocoa powder
¾ cup all-purpose flour
⅓ cup cane sugar
¼ tsp sea salt
1½ cups egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup cane sugar
½ tsp pure almond extract
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
4 cups frozen raspberries, thawed slightly
4 Tbsp cane sugar
1½ cups heavy whipped cream
1 Tbsp cane sugar
½ vanilla bean, seeds scraped from pod
- Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly spray a tube or 9-inch bundt pan with canola oil spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour, ⅓ cup sugar and salt.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar on medium-low until the whites get frothy. Slowly add 1 cup sugar, almond extract and vanilla extract. Increase speed to high until firm peaks form. Stop mixer and slowly sift flour/cocoa powder mix over egg whites and fold together by hand.
- Pour into pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until slightly resistant to the touch or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool. Use a knife to loosen sides and bottom of cake and cut into 20 slices.
- In a medium bowl, combine raspberries and sugar and set aside for 15 to 20 minutes until well blended.
- In a small bowl, whip together cream, sugar and scraped vanilla bean half. Serve each slice of cake with 1 tablespoon of raspberries and 1 tablespoon of whipped cream topping.