Nutrition Information (per serving)
1 cup pastry flour
1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
Pinch sea salt
1 lg egg
4 Tbsp cane sugar
⅓ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 egg whites
3 Tbsp pineapple juice concentrate
2 cups fresh diced pineapple
2 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp water
¾ cup 2% milk
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp cane sugar
¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
1 lg egg plus 1 egg white, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat an 8 by 8-inch square cake pan with canola oil spray and line bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat whole egg and 2 tablespoons cane sugar until light yellow and fluffy. Add orange juice and vanilla and beat again for at least 1 minute.
- In another bowl, beat the egg white with an electric mixer until foamy. Add the other 2 tablespoons cane sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Combine dry ingredients with whole egg/orange juice mixture and gently fold in egg whites. Pour into pan and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a rack and then invert cake onto plate, remove parchment paper, cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine pineapple juice concentrate and pineapples. Cook until pineapple is tender, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add cornstarch and water mixture and cook until mixture thickens, stirring continuously for about 1 minute. Remove mixture from heat and cool. Chill in refrigerator.
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients for pastry cream except for eggs. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens, about 5 to 10 minutes. In a medium bowl, beat eggs and add hot milk mixture, ¼ cup at a time, beating constantly until combined. Return to saucepan and cook over low heat until mixture is hot, but not simmering. Remove from heat. When cool, chill in refrigerator.
- Cut cake horizontally and lift top portion off. Pour the filling evenly over the bottom layer of the cake and place top layer back on top of the filling. Spread the pastry cream over the top of the cake and cut into 16 pieces. Chill until ready to serve.