Nutrition Information (per serving)
2 pints frozen or fresh raspberries
3 Tbsp cane sugar
2 Tbsp raspberry liqueur
½ vanilla bean
3 phyllo sheets
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
½ cup fresh lemon juice
⅓ cup cane sugar
2 egg yolks
½ Tbsp unflavored gelatin
1 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp cane sugar
2 Tbsp water
2 egg whites
¼ cup heavy cream
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for raspberry consommé. Let sit at room temperature for at least 3 hours. Place in double boiler and cook for 15 minutes until all liquid has seeped out of berries. Remove vanilla bean and slice lengthwise, scraping out bean pulp and mixing into sauce. Cool, strain and refrigerate.
- Cut phyllo sheets in half, brush with melted butter, sprinkle with sugar and layer one on top of the other to make 6 layers. Place on baking sheet then lay another baking sheet over stacked phyllo sheets. Top with a heavy object. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- In a small saucepan, combine lemon juice, ⅓ cup sugar and yolks. Beat until foamy and lemon color. Place on stove and cook over low heat until just thickened. In a small bowl, combine gelatin and water and set aside for 5 minutes. Add to egg yolk mixture.
- Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and water and place in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes. Place egg whites in a bowl and begin whipping with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add hot sugar water slowly to egg whites while beating on high to form stiff peaks. Set aside. In small bowl, whip heavy cream to soft peaks.
- Place lemon custard in a medium bowl. Gently fold in egg whites. Fold in whipped cream last. Pour chiffon into a glass baking dish lined with plastic wrap and place in freezer for 2 hours to set.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut phyllo dough sheets into rounds and place on greased baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until crispy. Cool.
- Remove chiffon from freezer about 15 minutes before serving. Invert the dish over a plate and remove plastic wrap. Cut into 10 triangles or squares. Serve with 2 tablespoons raspberry consommé and a phyllo cookie.