Nutrition Information (per serving)
1½ cups low-fat milk
½ cup half and half
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean
½ cup cane sugar
¼ cup beaten egg yolks
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients except for egg yolk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Place egg yolk in a medium bowl. When milk mixture is scalded (about 165F), remove from heat and add ¼ cup at a time to egg yolk. Mix well after each addition. Remove vanilla bean, slice lengthwise and scrape vanilla bean into custard mixture. Mix well. Return to saucepan.
- Place saucepan back on heat. Stirring constantly, heat to just under a simmer (about 170F). Do not boil. Immediately transfer to an ice bath and cool completely. Place in a homemade ice cream freezer and follow the directions to freeze the ice cream.
- For chocolate ice cream, add ¾ ounce melted unsweetened baking chocolate to hot milk and egg mixture before placing in ice bath.
- For peanut butter ice cream, add 2 tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter to hot milk and egg mixture before placing in ice bath.
- For coffee ice cream, add 1 tablespoon espresso concentrate to hot milk and egg mixture before placing in ice bath.
- For fruit-based ice cream, add 2 to 4 tablespoons of fruit puree to hot milk and egg mixture, before placing in ice bath.