Nutrition Information (per serving)
1 cup half and half
1¼ cups 2% milk
1 vanilla bean
¾ cup cane sugar
½ cup egg yolk
2½ tsp cane sugar
- Preheat oven to 300F. Bring a kettle or pot of water to a boil. Place ten 4-ounce ramekins in a large roasting pan.
- In a large saucepan, combine half and half with milk. Slice vanilla bean lengthwise and open flat to scrape bean paste into milk mixture. Heat over medium just below a simmer. Add sugar and heat to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Place egg in a small bowl. Temper egg with hot milk mixture by adding a small amount, about ¼ cup. Stir gently to combine. Repeat process a few times, mixing to combine after each addition.
- Pour approximately ⅓ cup into each ramekin. Place pan in oven. Add enough boiling water in the pan to come to the level of the custard in the cups. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, until custard is set or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Use tongs to carefully remove ramekins from hot-water bath and place on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours (or up to 3 days).
- When ready to serve, sprinkle ¼ teaspoon sugar over each custard. Place under broiler for 1 minute or flame with a torch until sugar is caramelized. Be careful not to burn.