Nutrition Information (per serving)
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup cocoa
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
¾ cup cane sugar
¼ cup unsalted butter
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 large egg white
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
¼ cup buttermilk
1 cup grated zucchini
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly coat an 8-inch by 8-inch square cake pan with canola oil spray and lightly dust with cocoa powder.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, with a hand held mixer, beat together sugar, butter and oil until well blended. Add egg white and continue beating. Beat in vanilla and apple sauce.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet adding the buttermilk half way through. Mix in grated zucchini and chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean. Dust powdered sugar over top of cake and cut into 16 pieces.