Nutrition Information (per serving)
1 cup 2% milk
½ vanilla bean
1 Tbsp cane sugar
3 Tbsp canola oil
¼ cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
2 egg whites
¼ cup 2% milk
½ cup cane sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 egg yolks
1 lg egg
¼ cup evaporated skim milk
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat a 9-inch cake pan with canola oil spray.
- In a large bowl, add milk, sugar, oil and yogurt. Slice vanilla bean lengthwise and open flat to scrape bean paste into milk mixture. Using an electric hand mixer on high speed, cream until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking soda. In another small bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks appear.
- Gently fold flour mixture into milk mixture, then fold egg whites into milk/flour mixture. Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- To make pastry cream, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, sugar, vanilla extract and cornstarch. Heat until thickened.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and egg. Slowly temper half of the hot milk into eggs. Gradually stir this mixture back into remaining milk mixture. Return to a medium-low heat, stirring constantly until thick and smooth. Place mixture in a medium bowl and chill two to three hours.
- For ganache, heat milk until just before boiling. Stir in chocolate chips and remove from heat. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk together.
- To assemble pie, slice cake in half, horizontally. Return bottom half to pan and spread evenly with pastry cream. Place top half of cake on pastry cream and spread with chocolate ganache. Chill 1 to 2 hours before serving.