Nutrition Information (per serving)
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp sea salt
4½ tsp cane sugar
2 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, diced
3½ Tbsp water
4 to 6 Tbsp ice water
4 med pears, peeled, cored and halved, lengthwise
¼ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup dried cranberries
2 tsp cane sugar
2 tsp brown sugar
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp egg whites, lightly beaten
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp cane sugar
4 whole vanilla beans, broken in half
¼ cup apple cider
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To prepare pâte brisée, place flour in a medium bowl. Add salt and sugar and mix well. Add butter and cut into flour, using a pastry cutter, until butter is the size of small peas. Add water and mix gently. Gather dough with dry hands and form into ball. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine walnuts, cranberries, cane sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon. Fill each pear half with 1 tablespoon of fruit and nut mixture. Divide pâte brisée into 8 portions and form into balls. Roll out each ball into a circle about ⅛-inch thick, or thin enough to cover the pear half.
- Wrap a pâte brisée circle around each pear half bringing the ends together at the bottom. Brush each wrapped pear with the egg whites and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and sugar. Pierce the top of each pear with a vanilla bean half.
- Place pears on a baking sheet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until pears are tender and the crust in lightly brown.
- While still warm, place each wrapped pear on the plate and garnish with a tablespoon of warm apple cider.