Nutrition Information (per serving)
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup whole-wheat flour
1¼ tsp sea salt
4 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
⅓ cup low-fat cream cheese
¾ cup buttermilk
1½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
½ cup chopped yellow onion
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 lb low fat and nitrate free chicken sausage
2 tsp dry sage
3 bay leaves
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 cups Béchamel sauce
½ cup chicken stock
1 tsp hot sauce
1½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp white distilled vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a large baking sheet with canola oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
- Cut butter and cream cheese into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter. Stir in buttermilk until just combined.
- Transfer onto a lightly-floured surface and knead gently just until dough forms. Roll out dough to ½-inch thick. Using a 2½-inch round cutter, form 12 biscuits and arrange about 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly spray tops of biscuits with canola oil spray and bake for 10 minutes, or until cooked through and tops are golden brown.
- In a large saucepot, sauté onions and garlic in oil until onions are translucent. Add chicken sausage, sage, bay leaves and pepper. Break up sausage into smaller pieces with your utensil while sautéing. Cook until sausage is just about cooked through.
- Add Béchamel sauce and chicken stock and bring to a simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire, vinegar and hot sauce.
- Serve ½ cup gravy over each biscuit.