Nutrition Information (per serving)
1 Tbsp dry yeast
1½ cups warm water
1½ cups whole-wheat flour
1½ cups bread flour
1 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- In a small bowl, mix yeast with warm water. Let sit for about 10 minutes until frothy.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer equipped with a dough hook, combine whole-wheat flour, bread flour and salt. Mix well. Pour yeast mixture and oil into flour mixture and mix on low until flour is distributed and mixture is not sticky. Increase speed to medium and mix until dough is elastic and forms a ball, about 10 minutes.
- Cover and let rise until dough is doubled in size, about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Punch down dough. Lightly flour a working surface and knead dough by hand until smooth and elastic, adding flour if necessary. Divide into 8 equal portions and roll into balls. With a rolling pin, roll each dough ball (adding flour if board gets sticky) and flatten into 8-inch circles.
- Transfer to a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick vegetable coating and dust with cornmeal. Bake shell for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and arrange toppings, and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until heated through.