Nutrition Information (per serving)
2¼ cups warm water (90F to 105F)
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp molasses
1 Tbsp dry active yeast
1 cup ground flax seed
2 Tbsp wheat bran
1½ tsp sea salt
½ cup nonfat dry milk
3 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
½ cup hi-gluten flour
3 cups whole-wheat flour
1 Tbsp canola oil
- In large bowl, combine water, sugar, molasses, yeast, flax seed and wheat bran. Let sit for 15 minutes, or until bubbly.
- In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients except for oil. Mix well. Add half of dry mixture to yeast mixture and stir to combine. Stir in oil. Add remaining flour mixture and mix on low speed with a dough hook or by hand until all ingredients are well combined, about 1 minute. Knead with dough hook or by hand for 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic and lightens in color.
- Lightly coat two bread pans with canola oil spray.
- Place dough in a large bowl and cover with a towel. Let sit in a warm place until doubled in size. Punch down and divide in half. Form into 2 circles and gently roll to the length of the bread pans. Place in pans and let rise until doubled in size again.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Bake for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325F and bake for 30 minutes longer. Remove bread from pans immediately and let cool. Cut each loaf into 16 slices.