Mel and Enid Zuckerman demonstrate their heartfelt commitment to promoting health and wellness through their active support of organizations dedicated to improving lives. Under their guidance, Canyon Ranch donates scholarships, funds research and provides resources to support local, national and international groups serving people from all walks of life.
Highlights of Canyon Ranch’s philanthropic endeavors include:
- Donation of thousands of Canyon Ranch vacations to members of organizations researching health and wellness over the last 20 years.
- Partnership with the Dream Street Foundation. Since 1988, Canyon Ranch has hosted young adults with life-threatening illnesses to a transformative getaway.
- Support of the Healthy Living Scholarship Program. Since 1988, more than 5,000 at-risk individuals have participated in a week-long program at the Life Enhancement Center® at Canyon Ranch in Tucson.
In recognition of the Zuckerman family’s lifelong support of medical research at the Arizona Health Sciences Center at the University of Arizona, the UA College of Public Health was renamed the Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health.
In 2002, the Zuckerman family and Canyon Ranch co-founder Jerry Cohen established a separate entity, Canyon Ranch Institute, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose mission is to educate, inspire and empower every person to prevent disease and embrace a life of wellness. In 2006, Richard Carmona, M.D., M.P.H., FACS, 17th Surgeon General of the United States (2002–2006), became president of the Institute. The Institute has forged worldwide partnerships to focus on communities that have traditionally been underserved.
Canyon Ranch Institute News
- Residents of Savannah, Georgia, have been planting the seeds of health. More than 60 people are taking part in the CRI Healthy Garden Project, which brings cooperative gardens to urban settings.
- The first group of CRI Life Enhancement Program graduates in Savannah, Georgia, recently got together for a reunion. Gatherings such as this are an important way to help graduates maintain their healthy choices and changes, and strengthen bonds of friendship and support. (October 1, 2014)
- Reginald Franklin of Savannah, Georgia, finds that change really is possible, with a little help from his friends at the Canyon Ranch Institute® Life Enhancement Program®. His first-hand account will inspire you. (July 8, 2014)
- Berkshire Health Systems and Canyon Ranch Institute Announce Partnerships to Improve Health and Wellness with the Berkshire Community (June 26, 2013)